Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Saving on Kids Items

As a parent of 3 kids, I know how expensive it is to keep them clothed and get them new toys.  That’s why I’m going to be talking about various ways to get your kids items cheap!

Yard Sale
Once the weather starts warming up, you will see a lot of people having yard sales to get rid of their stuff.  This is where you will be able to find kids clothing, toys, baby items very very cheap!  As long as them items aren’t stained, worn out, out of style – There is no reason why your child can’t wear gently used clothing.  My kids have no problems wearing these right now, but I’m sure once they are teenagers, that would be a whole different story.  Check your newspapers, craiglist ads, and just drive around to find yard sales. 

Consignment Sale
This is a great way to go to 1 specific place to get all your needed items.  There is some stores that stay year around that has used items, just check your yellow pages for this.  Another option is seasonal consignment sales.  There is several different ones that I know of for Georgia.  Moms of Multiples, Tykes, Tots and Teens, and KellyTown Kids Consignment sale.  Seasonal ones only happen twice a year.  This can also be a great way to sell your kids clothing that they have outgrown.  I’m participating in the Tykes, Tots and Teen Consignment sale this week.   I can sell all of my kids clothing that they have outgrown, toys they no longer want/play with. It declutters my house and I get extra money in my pocket!

Clearance Racks
Every season, stores will be marking down seasonal clothing to make room for the next season clothes.  In the fall, all summer stuff will be marked down. This is a great way to stock up on clothing for next summer.  You can just get a bigger size so you can make sure that these will fit your child.  This is also a great way to get started on your gift closet.  Target marks down toys 75% off in January and again in July.  Every year, this is where I would get 75% of my Christmas shopping done and I wouldn’t be spending a lot out of my pocket.

As a mom, I know how fast kids can outgrow their clothing.  Especially babies and all the baby equipment that they need for the 1st year of life.  But there is no reason you have to pay full price for items that won’t get used long.

No comments: